НТТР is the most wide-spread proxy type. It was developed for interaction of browsers and web-sites.
An HTTP Proxy has a range of advantages, such as:
- caching of frequently requested data results in the increased Internet access rate (by around 10-30 %), though, nowadays, at the time of quickly updated and highly dynamic sites, the caching function loses its initial significance and does not guarantee anticipated time saving;
- access limitation by a wide list of parameters (e.g. proxy access can be denied for a certain user name after 17:00);
- filtering of content transmitted through a proxy (e.g. download forbidden for certain file extensions);
- restricting download rate for certain files;
- redirecting traffic through other proxies to avoid communication channel overload;
- logging all HTTP Proxy actions.